Thursday, April 4, 2013

Feminism

I believe I am in a very feminine mood today. People have a notion that it is an oxymoron to be a Feminist Girly Girl. The same girl could wear high heels with a flowy evening dress who teams flats  with her trousers and shirts in boring shades of black and grey, to work every single morning. Smoky eyes looks perfect on the same woman who wears the eye liner clean. Having a floral print on the laptop cover does not merely mean, she is unaware of the machine configurations. We add a liner if our lips our not of the perfect shape. We put a foundation to make our skin look flawless. That doesn't make us plastic or fake. Every woman is pretty, and she has the right to look beautiful. Looking good enhances our confidence. We love Bob Dylan. We love Hotel California too. Trying to be a feminist by looking unclean is not right way to be so. And  let me put a full stop to the idea that being girly construes that with weakness or lack of intelligence. It is okay to be a feminist-girly girl. It is just that a woman tries to perfect herself, while men stick to whatever they have. Now I am not being a female chauvinist by pointing that out. Chauvinism is a different issue altogether, and I don't want to bring it in the current topic of my blog.

 In a culture such as ours that is obsessed with image and categorizing people, it’s often assumed that in order to be a “true feminist,” you must reject things like shaving, wearing make-up or noisy heels, being heterosexual, enjoying the company of males, or being a stay-at-home mom. For me, feminism isn’t about the physical, it’s about the spiritual. Do I have your attention now!!? Feminism and femininity can always go together. We need not reject one to have the other. The society is largely influenced by the mainstream media that upholds the triteness of feminism and women being portrayed as bitchy, catty, stupid, submissive. Feminism, as they show it, is another prop of desire, in advertisement. Yes, it is about objectifying women in the media. Do we need more proof?? Google Playboy !

To make my point clear, the Feminist philosophy argues that no women should be oppressed under any circumstances irrespective of her chromosomes, color, race, ethnicity.  I can rise up early, ready my kids for school, dress up perfectly for my office, do my work with all the precision needed, and come home and cook for my family, and doing all that while still looking nice, doesn't prove that I am not a feminist. I still know to stand up for my rights, because first I am a human being and then a woman. So I guess the eternal fight to establish feminism as freedom.. justice.. and equality continues in a gender biased society.

No comments:

Post a Comment